Monday, May 12, 2008

Its been 2 completed weeks

What have I been up to?

At Pusat Berdikari Sban where I'm doing my elective
1. Getting to know the trainees... bit of their background, their good points and bad points.
2. Teaching them
(i) how to handle money
(ii) English, maths
(iii) art-and-craft ie pasting
(iv) personal hygiene (ladies)
3. Observing how the trainees
(i) baked cakes, cupcakes
(ii) cook eg. baked beans
4. Checking their work ie making sure there are 5 straws/pack for Vitagen
5. Preparing them for a performance during the fund-raising night on 5th July ie simple dance

Other time
1. Baked brownies... excellent response:)
2. Cooked a meal at Minoo's house... I miss cooking!!
3. Exercise - swimming and jogging... suppose to be preparing for a 11km marathon.. thinking of chickening out last minute..haha
4. Chit chat a lot

On a personal note
its been a learning experience. I am learning to appreciate myself more and not complain bout things I dont have. I am learning to be more simple-minded. I am beginning to understand what they go through and what can be done for this group of people.

That day while we were teaching the female trainees some personal care, we touched a little on non-verbal communication. We demonstarted what type of touch one should use and should avoid. While some of them understood it, some did not. Though they may be adults, their mind can be as innocent as a child but their feelings for the opposite gender can be as real as others. For those that understood, they told us that they had been 'touched there' before. My heart was broken to hear that, yet angry how can these people be taken advantage of.

1 Comments:

At 7:20 AM, Blogger Chia Ling said...

Hi Joanne,

I m Chia Ling here.
I just read ur post and I m very interested and touched by your elective in this centre. Would u mind to share this with me when I m back for the holidays? Like perhaps i would like to just obtain the contacts or if u haf time...maybe just to share a bit of experience?

Thanks,
Chia Ling

 

Post a Comment

<< Home