my nearest encounter with psychosis
Last night was at the A&E department assisting in the management of an MVA victim when one of the staff nurse requested Kealynn and I to take the vital signs of a female patient. I looked at her...
She was young-middle age women, slightly large built, propped up on the bed in left lateral, dressed in a bright green floral print dress. Her hair was 'durian' cut and she appears disorientated. We approached her and she gave a perculiar look. She did not speak and kept still. I wondered, how are we going to put the BP cuff on her?
As we were wondering, suddenly she awoke, and began spitting around. We fled from her immediately. I quickly walked to the edge of the room and looked at her. Kealynn and I were just watching. Some staff in the A&E were busy attending to other patients and were oblivious to what was happening. i began to laugh to myself (its just how I cope with situations, sorry).
Some were asking her neighbours who brought her in how was she and all. Suddenly she got out of her bed and started walking around, disoriented, screaming and spitting around. I ran straight to the nearest door, waiting to flee if she ever came to me!!! Some guys including Stanley quickly grabbed on to her and made her sit on a wheelchair. After some struggle, she finally calmed down. I just laughed to myself how stupid I reacted to the situation:) Minoo and I leter found some bandages in case she needed physical restrain. I was thinking of covering her mouth as she was still spitting sround. Some juniors who came were no where to be seen. I guess it must be shocking (until after one enters psychiatric posting/ward).
One female doctor handled the situation so professionally that I realized these patients are human after all. I began to look at the patient differently and all fear just melted away. I still feared her saliva getting on me, though:) The next time she began screaming and struggling, I didn't find the nearest exit anymore, but I helped to restrain her. I was surprised how strong she was. Finally a decision to sedate her was made by the doctor and after 3 injections, she slept off.
I learnt that no matter how psychotic a person is, they are still human. In situations like this, think rationally and not let emotions take charge.
A&E rocks

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home