Monday, February 13, 2006

Patients=PEOPLE with disease

Since last Mon I've been attached to a churchmember'c clinic.

I really thank God for this wonderful learning experience. Its really different what I learnt here than in IMU. Not only I'm really seeing the stuff, I'm made to think, and learn how to handle people. haha...talk about people.

There are some real memorable ones. Some walk into the clinic, literally asking for MCs. I mean they don't ask directly, but they present with so minor stuff and ask for ridiculous numbers of off days. Some are so stingy with their paid leave. Some are plain lazy... Its amazing how these doctors don't give in so easily. But ya, can't be too soft hearted.

Besides treating their illness, one particular doctor took the opportunity to prevent other illness by advising them. A female factory worker came in for a medical check up. After doing the check up, he taught her how to do a simple breast examination. One couple came in: the wife was diabetic while the husband was a smoker. Since each can't control from their bad lifestyle habits, he advised them to make a deal with each other. If the husband can reduce the number of cigaretes a day, the wife must eat less and vice versa!

Some patients are totally oblivious to their body's state of well-being. One male patient had so many doctors here and there, been warded a few times and had many test ran on (and into) his body. Yet, he was totally blur when asked why were they for! This doctor I was attached to began explaining that he should start to be more....aware..

Still, there are others who are too sensitive of their body! There was one man who had minor cuts and abrasions to his left shin and a healing cut on his right arm. He asked so many questions that I almost laughed in front of him. Questions ranged from whether the bacteria in his food will affect his wound healing to whether he should wear koyok on his knee!

Really, I think this is a wonderful & fun learning experience!

1 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Sueanne Low said...

hi joep!

glad to hear that you are having a very good time at the clinic... at least spend your time fruitfully ya. Don't forget to catch up with some people and visit cf ;)

take care

 

Post a Comment

<< Home