Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My past week at Hospis Malaysia

Its been a whole new experience for me

1. driving to and fro my aunt's house to Hospis, and driving around KL with the nurses for home visits. I really dislike driving in KL as I never did it on my own, I hate traffic jams, the road signs are confusing, petrol is expensive and there's toll simply everywhere. But I thank God that throughout my past week, I've not lost my way and my 1 full tank supplied my 1 week's supply including to and fro Melaka-KL. I always start my journey with a word of prayer, and continue talking to God till I reach my destination.

2. I've never seen so many cancer patients in my entire 1-year in Seremban Hospital- Ca of the lung, colon&rectum, breast, ovary are among the most common. All the patients have distant mets and waiting.

3. I now see the importance of symptom control above providing a cure for the disease, as within each patient is a person who has a family, who has loved ones, who has many feelings and expectations. I see the importance of palliative care and I've realized the need for people to leave this world in peace that their loved ones will feel comforted. I've seen how tears of hopelessness and uncertainty have turned to acceptance.

4. The nurses do most of the job. from nursing care to history-taking, examining and identifying the patient's problem (which any good doctor should do) to giving instructions about medications (as should be down by pharmacists). of course they call their doctors and the pharmacist before doing anything. These nurses have to first learn to read a map and all of them has a map in their car. Super-nurses:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home