Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Lord's Prayer

"I shall never say the Lord's prayer the same ever again..." my sis said after watching the movie with the title "United flight 93". I watched it bout 3 weeks ago.

For those unfamiliar, this movie re-enacted the last few moments of some United Flight 93 passengers' life. This flight crashed on that eventful Sept 11, after passengers got together to prevent their hijackers from crashing the plane into a landmark in US. One of the passengers called an aviation employee (trained to handle emergencies, can't remember what her occupation was) to inform her they were going to 'take control' of the hijackers. They were uncertain what the outcome will be. Worst case, their plane crashes....Can you imagine.... knowing that you were going to die and you are saying your last words on earth with your final breath? What are you going to say? This passenger prayed the Lord's prayer with the employee...

Our Father, who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven
Give us today our daily bread
Forgive us our debts
As we forgive those who trespass against us
Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil
For Thine is the Kingdom,
the power
and the glory
Forever...

Today, I received a forward from my dad.... Let's just ponder upon the application in a new perspective, since we are still alive on earth...

I cannot say “our” if I live only for myself
I cannot say “Father” if I do not endeavor each day to act like his child
I cannot say “who art in heaven” if I am laying up no treasure there
I cannot say “hallowed be thy name” if I am not striving for holiness
I cannot say “thy Kingdom come” if I am not doing all in my power to hasten that wonderful event
I cannot say “thy will be done” if I am disobedient to his Word
I cannot say “on earth as it is in heaven” if I’ll not serve Him here and now
I cannot say “give us this day our daily bread” if I am dishonest or seeking things by subterfuge
I cannot say “forgive us our debts” if I harbor a grudge against anyone
I cannot say “lead us not into temptation” if I deliberately place myself in its path
I cannot say “deliver us from evil” if I do not put on the whole armor of God
I cannot say “thine is the Kingdom” if I do not give the King the loyalty due him from a faithful subject
I cannot attribute to him “the power” if I fear what men may do
I cannot ascribe to the “the glory” if I’m seeking honor only for myself, and
I cannot say “forever” if the horizon of my life is bounded completely bounded by time

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home